Monday, September 22, 2008

Full House

Back in Room 400 at the State U. I guess Mondays are better for life drawing.... the class seemed to be full today. The instructor was took the class to show them some slides in another room so I was left on my own in the drawing studio for the first 30 minutes of class. I took the opportunity to do some stretching and meditate on what kind of poses I was going to do.

We hit a lot of the usual exercises- contour drawings, mass drawings, and line drawings. Today the instructor had them combine line and mass drawings. The finished pieces for that exercise were getting quite detailed.

After the break, the instructor had the students do some brush and ink drawings. This was my first time modeling for artists working in this medium. It looked potentially messy and the technique seemed difficult. The instructor had them try it with their non-dominant hand which seemed to be exceptionally difficult. And potentially messy....

After class I found the instructor and chatted about her class. I asked for an assessment of my modeling and she verified that I am doing a suitable job for her class. Apparently after seeing me model in her class the first time she went to the Fine Art Studio secretary and demanded a monopoly on my time so she could have me keep modeling for her class. I take that as a compliment. Apparently she likes my body type- she told me it was nice to see someone with definition so the students could actually see parts of the body working. Models lacking definition lead to the students drawing "tubes" (her terminology) for body parts. Muscle definition forces them to put more detail in their drawings...

Every easel and horse seemed to have an artist in front of it today- it was good to know the students make it to class for at least the first part of the week...

No comments: